Studying in China, you may want to get in touch with your Chinese friends and classmates via something similar to Facebook. Since FB is a no-no here in the Middle Kingdom, more and more students are turning to the Chinese version: Renren (人人). In an effort to help you connect with your new Chinese pengyou, we are providing a guide to registering an ccount and finding friends on Renren.
- Go to www.renren.com.
- Click the green button on the bottom that says 立即注册.
- Fill in your information on the page. 注册邮箱 is your email address, which you will need to log in. You can also provide your cell phone number as the account number (click 手机号). 创建密码 means “enter password.” After 真实姓名, enter your real name (must be in Chinese). Choose a gender between 男 and 女, and then choose your birthday. In the next 我现在 section, choose a status:已经工作了(already working), 正在上大学 (attending university), 正在上中学 (currently in middle school) or 其他身份 (other). Try to fill in the 验证码 (“verification code”) though they are all in Chinese characters. if you can’t read the characters, change the picture by clicking 看不起换一张. Finish by clicking the big button, 立即注册.
- If you chose 正在上大学 column, the next page will ask you to select your university from a list including schools around the world. Afterwards, fill in your 入学年份 (entry year), 选择院系 (chosen department) and 选择类型 (whether you are getting your bachelor’s, master’s or PhD). Afterwards, choose the name of your high school. At last, click 保存我的个人信息 (save my information).
- The next page should be full of names and pictures of classmates or friends you might know. Click on the pictures to add people as your friends.
- On the next page you can broaden your network by adding friends of friends. When you’re finished, click 完成进入首页 to save all yoursettings.
- The first time you enter your Renren homepage, it will prompt you to upload a profile picture so that your friends can recognize you. Click the green button that says 上传头像 and choose a picture to upload.
- If you want to search for a name, enter it in the search bar at the upper right hand corner.
- There are hundreds of things you can do on Renren. The most basic one is to post your status, which you can do by writing whatever you’re up to in the uppermost box and clicking the blue button 发布 to share. On the left side, there are categories for sharing more in-depth stuff or multimedia: 日志 (journal), 照片 (pictures) and 分享 (for articles or photos).
- A the top of the page, click on 应用 to find thousands of applications, including games, tools and favorites.
- Most importantly, and I can’t stress the importance of this enough, visit the World of Chinese Renren (note you will have to log into Renren first before you can access our page)!
It might seem a bit complicated at first, but once you join in and find your friends sharing news online, you’ll find Renren is great fun – and an addictive way to spend your time online.