Honor ghosts by following the festival’s rituals, otherwise you’ll be plagued by bad luck!
- Create an altar at a crossroads; ghosts can come from all four directions, giving you maximum exposure for spirit worship
- Talk to your ancestors, as they can hear you at this time of year
- Don’t go swimming – spirits will come and snatch you away
- Don’t go outside after sunset – the ghosts are out and about at this time
- Don’t move house – it angers the spirits who can’t find their family home
- Don’t open a business – with all the ghosts about, you are bound to have bad luck
- Don’t get married – again, bad luck and bad sense
What does a teleporting Monk have to do with the Hungry Ghost Festival? I’m glad you asked.