The World of Chinese is seeking a full-time digital content creator to join our editorial team in Beijing. We are looking for someone bursting with ideas for how to grow our multimedia content, and the skills to implement those plans. The ideal candidate would have strong English skills, experience in producing video and audio content, and good knowledge of various social media platforms.
- Take overall responsibility for TWOC’s digital content production, including videos, podcasts, and social media content
- Come up with multimedia story ideas on a regular basis and oversee their production
- Create and edit content for TWOC’s social media channels
- Help TWOC grow by cultivating new beats, collaborations, and strategies
- Attend editorial and strategy meetings and stick to a regular publication schedule, while dealing with editorial concerns as they arise
- Edit multimedia stories for grammar, consistency, and accuracy
- Strong English language skills, capable of writing and self-editing in English
- Highly self-motivated and creative thinker capable of pitching fresh ideas to drive TWOC’s digital content in exciting directions
- Good understanding of TWOC’s content, mission, and brand
- Familiarity with cultural and social trends in China, and sensitive to the most impactful ways of communicating them to our audience
- Proficiency in using and strategizing with social media and short video platforms, including but not limited to Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube Shorts
- Experience with video production and editing software, and ability to direct, produce, and edit videos for digital platforms at pace.
- Strategic thinker able to contribute to medium- and long-term planning to grow TWOC’s reach and grow our community
- Based in Beijing or able to arrive by the job’s starting date; foreign passport-holder must meet the requirements for obtaining a work visa in China
- Chinese language skills and familiarity with Chinese social media platforms would be an advantage
What we offer
This is a full-time position based at our office in central Beijing, with a competitive salary and medical benefits. You will have the chance to work in a bilingual office with an international team of writers, editors, and designers; collect bylines and see your name in an award-winning English language publication; and be a part of our mission to tell high-quality, compelling, and research-driven stories about China to the world.
Please send your CV, a cover letter explaining your interest in TWOC, three pitches for digital content (videos, audio, social media etc) you would like to produce for TWOC, and any samples of your work in English to email@example.com
The World of Chinese (TWOC) is a print and digital magazine published in English from Beijing. One of the most authoritative resources on contemporary China, it is renowned for its in-depth reporting, objectivity, and human-centered approach to Chinese society. Our work has won international awards for media in Asia, and our staff and interns have gone on to work in major publications around the world.
- “Excellence in Women’s Issues Reporting,” SOPA Awards for Editorial Excellence, 2023
- “Best Podcast/Digital Audio Project,” Silver Award, WAN-IFRA Digital Media Asia, 2022
- “Best Feature Article,” Gold and Silver Awards, WAN-IFRA Asian Media Awards, 2022
- “Best Magazine Cover Design,” China Periodical Design Art Week, 2021 – 2022
- “Best Layout Design,” China Periodical Design Art Week, 2021
- “Excellence in Environmental Reporting,” SOPA Awards for Editorial Excellence, 2021