Social Media & Community Manager Position
Are you a social butterfly who spends copious amounts of time on social media? Can you be witty and insightful in a few characters? Are you excited to share knowledge about Chinese culture, society, history, and language? Do you dream about engagement strategy? Do you like memes?
The World of Chinese is looking for a digitally savvy person who can help build our community, both online and offline, through social media and event management. You will take ownership of TWOC’s social media presence, working with our Marketing and Editorial departments to define and execute strategy, regularly schedule posts, and monitor our social media performance. You will also be responsible for planning and coordinating our regular online and offline events—including talks, book clubs, film screenings, and social events like issue launch parties—to raise the public profile of The World of Chinese and grow its community.
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic people-person with a solid understanding of TWOC’s mission, as well as a knowledge of trends in China reporting in English-language media. The candidate should be detail-orientated, able to plan and execute an event from scratch, and able to create a lively buzzing atmosphere in the room. We want a self-motivated, enthusiastic, and charismatic person who can build excitement about TWOC in the wider world and grow our global influence.
- Write and schedule all social media posts, including Twitter and Facebook, in TWOC’s voice
- Develop a social media engagement strategy in collaboration with Marketing and Editorial departments to promote TWOC’s stories and brand identity online
- Build TWOC’s reach, impact, and reputation, and contribute to annual operational and financial goals
- Help execute an overarching marketing strategy to promote TWOC’s brand identity both online and offline
- Coordinate and expand TWOC’s repertoire of events, including talks, book clubs, film screenings, and social events
- Provide weekly reports on social media engagement and performance
- Helm the expansion of TWOC’s online presence through new digital channels (newsletters, podcasts, video series, TikTok, etc.)
- Engage with and recruit new followers by monitoring trends, replying to comments, running polls, and engaging in debates on social media
- Native-level English writing abilities
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant work experience, or a master’s degree in a relevant field
- Proven results in managing social media for a publication, brand, or organization
- Strong interest in event management
- Strong project management skills
- Experience with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms
- Understanding of key opinion leaders and trends in China-reporting on social media
- Self-motivated, with drive to develop strategies and new ideas independently
- Ability to work on deadlines with high attention to detail
- Video editing skills would be a plus
- Spoken and written Chinese ability and familiarity with Chinese social media channels, such as WeChat, Weibo, Douyin, and Xiaohongshu, would be a plus
What we offer
The is a full-time position based at our office in Chaoyang district of Beijing, with a competitive salary and medical benefits. You will have the chance to work in a bilingual office with an international team of writers, editors, and designers; collect bylines and see your name in an award-winning English language publication; and be a part of our mission to tell high-quality, compelling, and research-driven stories about China to the world
Please send your CV and a cover letter, explaining your interest in TWOC and ideas for how to promote our presence on social media, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Social Media Manager”.